Welcome to the
St. Joseph Parish Library!
Located downstairs in the St. Therese Room
The St. Joseph Parish Library strives to provide both religious information and inspiration to our faith community. We have about 3000 items including adult, children, youth and teen books. Our collection includes 100 DVDs and 70 CDs (both music and audio books).
The library is open any time the church is open. We use a self-checkout, honor system and instructions are posted. Please put your phone number on the checkout card. Books and CDs are checked out for 3 weeks. DVDs go out for 1 week only. Return books to the box in front of the library desk. Return DVDs and CDs to the basket next to the DVD display rack. A box for donations is located in front of the desk
The library is also a conference room. If it is in use, please select books from the two bookcases in the hallway outside the library. We keep a variety of books there. Two return boxes are located in the hallway - one for books and the other for DVD and CDs.
Our librarians try to be available before and after Masses to answer questions and to assist you in finding books and media. If you want help and no one is available, leave the librarians a note in a checkout card box and someone will contact you.
Searchable, online catalog: LibraryThing
Our collection is slowly being put into an online catalog system called LibraryThing, which allows you to view the contents of the St. Joseph Parish Library from a home computer or any device connected to the Internet. As of April, 2014 about two thirds of our material is on LibraryThing.
You can search our catalog using LibraryThing but you can not use it to check availability, reserve, renew, check out, or donate a book. Our checkout, renewal and donation procedures remain the same – you do that in the library.
Our “Profile” page is a good place to start exploring LibraryThing:
Our “Catalog” page is a direct link to our books:
Like any website, you will have to play with LibraryThing a little to learn how to use it.
Helpful things to know about LibraryThing:
1. We have Books, DVDs and CDs in 2 “Collections”:
“New” - added in 2013-2014.
“Your Library” – in library before 2013.
“All Collections” = “New” + “Your Library”
2. Subjects are listed as “Tags”. Extra information, such as “Fr. Todd Recommends”, “Classic”, “Use with Study Guide”, “Large Print”, or “PG-13”, are also listed as “Tags”. If you see a number in parenthesis after a “Tag”, that is the number of items we have with that “Tag”. If you click on a “Tag”, you will see a list of everything we have with that “Tag (subject)”.
3. Call Letters are listed under the “Comments” field and are used for shelving books.
4. Searching is easiest if you type a word(s) in the “Search StJosephIssaquah’s books” box while on the “Profile page”, or if you are on a “Catalog page”, by typing in the “Search this library” box. These search boxes are located near the upper right corner of the LibraryThing pages in a gray bar. If you “Search site”, which is in the brown bar, you will leave our library.
5. You can also search by looking at all our “Tags”. This may be less accurate than searching for a specific word but is a good way to browse.
6. If you want to rearrange a list of books into alphabetical or numerical order, click on the blue “Title”, “Author”, “Date”, “Tags”, “Comments”, or “Entry Date” at the top of a “Catalog page” and the books will move into order. If you click a second time, the order will reverse. A little blue arrow shows direction.
7. If you want more information about a book, click on the title. You will go to the book’s “Main Page”. On the right side bar of this page, there are links to the book on Amazon, where you can often read a description of the book and/or Amazon reviews. Occasionally there are reviews by LibraryThing or St. Joseph patrons linked on the left side bar of the “Main Page”.
8. If you want to see other books by an author, click on their name.
9. For the simplest presentation, make sure you see: “Using StJosephIssaquah’s viewing style (stop using it)”, which is in a gray bar near the top left of the “Catalog page”, just above the blue “StJosephIssaquah”.
10. If you get lost in the Catalog, click on the blue “StJosephIssaquah”, which is near the top left of each “Catalog page”. This will take you back to our “Profile page”.
St. Joseph Parish Library was started in the mid 1990’s by former pastor, Fr. Pat Clark, and Vee Fletcher, a long time parishioner and retired librarian. At that time the library consisted of a small area in the church hall. Vee was later given the downstairs space that now houses the nursery. She began building the collection by procuring recommended titles as well as incorporating donations from parishioners. With Vee’s hard work the library continued to expand. In the summer of 2011, the library moved across the hall to the St. Therese Room, which is also used as a conference/meeting space.
Please come and visit your St. Joseph Parish Library. We would love to meet you and help you find items that will help you on your spiritual journey.
We gladly accept donations of religious books, DVDs or CDs that are in good condition. We will review the donations to decide which materials we can use in our collection. Any donated items that we cannot use will either be donated to another source or sold to purchase other library materials.
Library Committee Members
Stephanie Cunningham, Ann Johnson, Lana Keith, Carol Linnemann, Marlene McGrath, Deacon David Olsen, Colleen Rappe, Fr. Todd O. Strange