Sacrament of Baptism
Adult Baptism Preparation
We welcome your interest in this Sacrament of Initiation. Please see the RCIA page for more information.
Infant Baptism Preparation
In bringing children to the Church for Baptism, parents share with their children the gift of faith and the gift of a community of faith. This tiny new life, that expresses the love people share, is drawn into the life of the Catholic faith community.
Baptism calls all of our parishioners to share faith with your child. Thus, we share this Sacrament of Initiation in the midst of the community gathered for Eucharist.
Parents are asked to renew their faith and their commitment to the Church by attending a Baptism Preparation Class (for children under eight) within two years of the baptism. It is necessary that you are registered at our parish for at least three months prior to beginning the steps of baptism preparation, and one parent must be a practicing Catholic.
Choosing a Godparent For Your Child
It is an honor and a privilege to be asked to be a Godparent or Sponsor for a candidate of the Sacrament of Baptism, but it is also a responsibility. This religious commitment challenges the one so honored to be a responsible partner and a good example in mentoring the faith life of the person to be baptized.
Church law requires that the sponsor (Canons 872, 873, 874):
1. Be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the person who takes their place, or in their absence by the pastor or minister and have the intention of fulfilling this function
2. You must have received the Sacrament of Confirmation
3. You must be a practicing Catholic:
- Attend Mass regularly and receive the Sacraments
- If married, the marriage is recognized by the Catholic Church
- If not married, must not be in a cohabitating relationship
- Not under any canonical penalties
4. You must be at least 16 years old
5. You must not be the parent of the one who is to be baptized and must have taken a Baptismal Preparation class within two years prior to the date of Baptism.
A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.
GODPARENT LETTER: If you are a St. Joseph parishioner that has been asked to be a Godparent for a child not of our parish and need a letter from Fr. Todd, please fill out this form (PDF).
INFANT BAPTISM CLASSES
Contact Jill Foglesong to sign-up for Baptism Class or for more information (425) 392-5516 x.228.